What God is like can be difficult to wrap one’s mind around. If you have ever wondered what he’s like or whether it’s even possible to know what he’s like, turning to the Bible to see what attributes it gives to Him is the best place to start.
While many attributes of God can be found in the Bible, this post will begin by looking at five: God as personal, God as all powerful, God as ever-present, God as all knowing, and God as sovereign.
God is personal
The Bible teaches that God created personhood. He created us as personal beings and we also know that he created us “in his likeness” (Genesis 1:27), this means that God cannot be anything less than personal himself. Because God holds this attribute, we can seek intimate fellowship with him. He is not far off or uninterested in our lives, but instead, he experiences relationships with other persons and wants a relationship with us.
God is all powerful
Scripture tells us that:
- God has the power to create anything from nothing (Ps. 33:6-9)
- God has power to deliver (Exod. 13:3)
- God’s creative power is beyond our comprehension (Job 38:1-11)
- God speaks and things happen (Ps. 29:3-9)
- His resurrection power is immeasurably great (Eph. 1:19-20)
- His powerful word sustains everything (Heb. 1:3)
- He has power over death (Rev. 1:18)
- No one can challenge what God does (Dan. 4:35)
- Reveals Himself as the almighty God (Gen. 17:1)
This attribute means that as a follower of God one can trust that he is capable of helping them with anything because he is greater than any other power on earth!
God is ever-present
Colossians 1:17 teaches that all creation is dependent upon God’s presence. Without the presence of God, the universe could not continue to exist. God set creation in motion and he sustains it – there is no task too large or too difficult for Him (Jeremiah 32:17, 27). The Bible also teaches that God’s continual presence is what brings humankind contentment (Hebrews 13:5). Therefore, we can trust that he is always with us.
God knows everything
According to Daniel 2:21 God determines the course of world events; He removes kings and sets others on the throne. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the scholars. In other words, God knows everything. He is perfect in knowledge, knows the hearts of man, and all that is to come. We can go to him with all our questions and concerns.
God is sovereign
Like a king is sovereign over his country, God is sovereign over all. For example:
- God controls time and seasons (Dan. 2:21)
- God has dominion over the affairs of people (Job 12:13-25)
- God controls nature for His purposes (Job 37:2-13)
- God chose His people to become like Christ (Rom. 8:28-30)
- God’s eternal purpose is to make His wisdom known (Eph. 3:10-11)
- He raises and removes rulers (Dan. 2:21)
- He has a plan for His people and will carry it out (Eph. 1:5, 11)
- He is the only Sovereign (1 Tim. 1:17; 6:15)
- Relationship with God requires worship (John 4:24)
Considering this and the above attributes, it is clear that we can and should submit to God’s rule. He knows us, is all powerful to care for us, is always with us, knows everything there is to know, and is over everyone and every thing!